Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Poutine the French Way


Today at my school we had an "ERASMUS" day, so the exchange students were supposed to give ideas for recipes from their respective countries and participate in games, etc. in the cafeteria. I couldn't go because I had class but I heard a horror story from my fellow Canadians. So the Canadians decided to submit poutine as the recipe for Canada, but it was the Parisian students who actually made the food... and that is when disaster ensued. So the first mistake was that they decided to make the fries yesterday and then reheat them today, personally I always find reheated fries disgusting so that would have ruined the whole dish for me. Secondly they used barbecue sauce instead of gravy... I can only imagine. Day old fries with barbecue sauce and cheese curds...mmm, sounds appetizing! Apparenty the Canadians were asked to stop serving their dish because it was so bad. So now you can imagine the wonderful idea that the French students have of Canadian food. I love poutine when it is made well, but I don' think I would have tried the French version of it if I had been there today. I'm not really sure what else could have been served that might have been easier... I have a hard time coming up with any other food/meal that is distinctly Canadian aside from the stereotypical maple syrup, beaver tail, canadian bacon... any ideas?

1 comment: