Monday, September 28, 2009

Parisien Style

As everyone knows, Paris is a very fashionable city. In general I would describe Parisien style as elegant and classic. Everything is pretty simple, but it's put together in just the right way. Here are some of the things that I have noticed:

- heels are the most common footwear, followed by trendy boots and flats (sneakers are pretty rare for girls)
- bags are the "it" accessory, everyone seems to have designer brands, even the men
- it's not cool to wear colours... only shades, the crowds on the metro are usually a sea of black, white and grey
- over-sized blazers are a must-have for women these days
- long and loose-fitting tops are everywhere (though they tend to look best on the naturally thin French women)
- plaid is in style right now (one of the exceptions to the colour rule)
- you should have a scarf to go with every outfit

These are just some general observations that I've made. Of course like most big cities, Paris has a pretty diverse population so there are many different styles out there. I might also have more exposure to the fashionable side of Paris because there seem to be a lot of rich, fashion-obsessed kids at my school. It's a private business school, boasting an entire program on the "luxury industry," so as you can imagine, the majority of the students come to school dressed to impress, in heels, dresses, full hair and make-up. It's definitely a change from Canadian universities where it's common to go to class in sweatpants and not feel at all out of place. Though I doubt that I will ever live up to Parisien standards, I'm hoping some of their fashion savvy will rub off on me so that I can return to Canada just a little bit more stylish.

No comments:

Post a Comment