Sunday, September 20, 2009

The French Education System

I finally had my first class this past Friday and lets just say it was a typical French experience. The class that I had was Supply Chain Management, I know it sounds really boring and it is, but I signed up for it because it was supposed to be in French and I've already taken some classes on the subject in English so I figured I would be able to follow it well while improving my French. But as I have learned nothing at my school is very organized. I went to speak to the international coordinator the day before my class to ask some questions about my schedule and she told me that the SCM course was actually going to be in English because she had talked to the professor and he had said that if even one student in the class spoke English, then he would teach it in English. So the course description was changed less than 24 hours before the class, marking it as an English course. Of course this resulted in half of the class being French students with poor English skills, a quarter being exchange students with limited knowledge of French, and a quarter being students who had abilities in both languages. So as you can imagine the first half of the class was kind of disastrous as the prof tried to switch back and forth in between French and English, confusing 75% of the class. During lunch the prof worked out some sort of other schedule with the non-french speaking exchange students, and the rest of the class was conducted in French. I actually understood a lot more than I expected to and even managed to answer a question (he was asking for the English term for something he described in French). Yet another example of how despite the many delays, complications, etc., things seem to work out in the end here.

No comments:

Post a Comment