Friday, September 11, 2009

My First Fondue Experience

I tried la fondue au fromage savoyarde tonight for the first time, and I'm not sure if I will ever venture there again. First of all, I don't think I ever realized what went into cheese fondue, apart from the cheese. Before the fondue was even brought out I could tell from the smell wafting from the kitchen that it probably wasn't going to be one of my favourite meals but I was willing to try it out. When the waiter came out with the orange pot of fondue I was already ready to dip my tiny piece of bread in. After the first bite I couldn't figure out what tasted so off about it, then someone pointed out that one of the main ingredients in cheese fondue is white wine. When you're expecting something to be very cheesy and salty, the wine ingrediant kind of throws you off. The mixture of various cheeses and white wine was a bit too overpowering for me and I started to develop a technique where I used the wooden spoon to scoop up the cheesy parts (which looked kind of like cake batter) and then put that on my bread, instead of dipping and soaking up the wine flavour. Basically I disgraced that art of fondue... haha, but what can I say? I love the appreciation that the french have for both wine and cheese... but mixing them together? That is going a bit too far for me.

1 comment:

  1. I had fondue in Cuba...don't ever have fondue in Cuba. They don't really have cheese, so I have no idea what I actually ate :)

    ReplyDelete