Tuesday, October 6, 2009

From Tokyo to Paris...



UNIQLO is opening in Paris! UNIQLO is a Japanese clothing store that has a lot of basics and is pretty reasonably priced, I've bought some things from the store in Tokyo before. The Metro station Opera has been covered in ads for the store since I've been here, so I am excited to go check it out. Anyways, this is just an addition to the large Japanese presence I've noticed in Paris. It seems that the Japanese love Paris, and the Parisiens seem to have an appreciation for Japan too... or at least are trying to cater to the many Japanese tourists. There are "Japanese" restaurants on almost every street (though I've been told most are owned by Chinese or Korean people). Paris even has a street with mostly Japanese stores and restaurants on it as well as a large Japanese bookstore. I'm sure that there are many other Japanese things in Paris that I have yet to come across. I know that in Tokyo their are tons of French-inspired patisseries, boulangeries and cafes. All of the high-end French designers have huge stores in Ginza as well. I suppose that the relationship between Tokyo and Paris makes sense when you consider how trendy both cities are, it's almost as if they are trying to keep up with one another.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I'm one of them!
    I fell in love with Paris=France when I was a
    high school student although I did not speak a word of French.

    ReplyDelete