Monday, December 28, 2009

Au Revoir Paris!


So tonight is my last night here in Paris. It feels really strange and surreal, I don't think that it has quite sunk in yet that tomorrow I will be back in Toronto and in a week from now moved into a new apartment and back in classes. I have a feeling that Paris will seem like a distant dream in no time and it makes me a bit sad. These past four months have flown by, but I feel like I have lived a lifetime as well. I have a completely separate world here with a different school, friends, lifestyle, etc. and once I leave, it will never really exist again. I guess that is just how life goes though, nothing stays the same forever, and it would be boring if it did. My sister has been with me for the past 10 days and has asked me a lot of questions about how I view the Parisians, Paris in general, etc., and for some reason I find it really difficult to answer her. I've lived here for 4 months but I haven't really formed a concrete image of what Paris is, maybe that means I will have to come back to figure it out? Who knows. Anyways I think I will end off with one last list for you.

Things that I will miss about Paris:
1) my friends
2) hearing people speak French (it really is a beautiful language)
3) speaking French
4) my apartment
5) my "quartier" (I love the canal, and the fact that it's not a touristy area)
6) the metro (it is really convenient, cheap and well organized)
7) the centrality (it's really easy to travel to other cities/countries from Paris)
8) boulangeries (freshly baked baguettes and pastries.... yum)
9) cheap wine
10) being able to watch french movies at the cinema

Things that I won't miss about Paris:
1) dog poo on the sidewalks
2) homeless people/beggars
3) creepy men
4) american movies/tv dubbed into French
5) almost everything being closed on Sundays
6) expensive prices
7) constant sirens
8) the bad smell in the metro
9) bad service
10) smokers

1 comment: